2018/2019 Volunteer Opportunities – Register your interest!
The City of Kingston offers volunteering opportunities for community members over the age of 21 to join us across the Youth Services and Family Support Services programs.
Why Volunteer with Kingston’s Youth and Family Programs
Both the Youth Services and Family Support Services offer a number of programs and services for children, young people and their families in the City of Kingston. Our Volunteers provide an important service by assisting in informing and delivering these programs in group settings within the community.
Some activities include:
- Information talks and engagement activities with students;
- Assisting us with delivering social and recreational programs for young people;
- Assisting in supporting parents, carers and children in our parent support groups; and
- Assisting at Youth & Family events and festivals.
All enquiries are subject to submitting an application, having an interview and agreeing to undergo Police and Working with Children Checks.
To find out more information:
Please register your interest by contacting Lydia Sorensen on 1300 369 436 or email@example.com .
MEET ONE OF OUR VOLUNTEERS RACHEL AND READ HER STORY
I made the decision to volunteer because I was looking to start a career working with young people. Kingston Youth and Family Services operate in the heart of the community and I was keen to be a part of that. The volunteer training that was provided was so informative and the staff members were very welcoming and friendly. There were many volunteers with various backgrounds and reasons for volunteering including career changes, students and people looking to get involved in their local community and help in whatever way they could. After completing training, the opportunities available were amazing and varied from hands on activities and behind the scenes projects. Volunteers were given the chance to choose what they wanted to get involved in and my opinion and input as a volunteer was valued and encouraged. I had the wonderful task of working alongside Lydia, Youth Community Development Officer, to plan Junior Mayor and actually got to help set up and run the event itself. I was given so much support throughout this process and it was such a great learning experience for me that I found invaluable.
What I enjoyed the most
- Making a difference
- Meeting and interacting with both young people and members of the community
- Wonderful training sessions that ensured I was well equipped for volunteering
- Working alongside staff members (always supportive and happy to answer questions)
- I felt encouraged to participate in discussions and that my thoughts were valued
- Getting to see an event come together through all of the planning right up to delivering an event
- Clear communication from the team so there was no confusion
What did I take away from my time volunteering with Kingston Youth and Family Services?
- I learnt so much about working with young people and behind the scenes operations
- It was very rewarding personally to see the smiles on the young people’s faces as a result of something I helped put together
- I am so happy that I have met the most wonderful people through doing this, staff members, volunteers, external service providers and young people
- I enjoyed being an active member of the community
- I found my passion is working with young people and this experience was truly instrumental in helping me realise that.
From Kingston Youth & Family Services – thank you Rachel for sharing and contributing your free tome to help the community. We were so glad to hear that she gained so much from this experience. For anyone enquiring please do not hesitate to contact us to have a chat. We look forward to hearing from you.